Thursday, October 16, 2008

Using Blogs to Enhance Learning



I've found this great article about using Blogs to Enhance Learning through my diigo social bookmarking site. It discusses the need for teacher to consider if blogging is the right tool for their course/lesson objectives

In Ruth Reynard's piece, “Avoiding the 5 Most Common Mistakes in Using Blogs with Students,”
she states "the use of a blog in the classroom can only be implemented when there are “concepts for students to think through, various resources and content segments to process, or ideas to construct".

She adds
“there must be a certain amount of content preparation” prior to implementing any blogging practices within the classroom."

The article continues , "...teachers need to be clear that a blog is an individualized tool for one learner. Yes, students can leave comments on a colleague’s blog that represent a reflection of the material presented. But if a teacher is seeking reactions from a collective group the tool to use would be a wiki or a discussion forum. In essence, teachers must select the proper tool for the task.

I agree. Just because blogging is the buzz word for Web 2.0 doesn't always mean its always the appropriate learning tool to use in all situations. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

AnnBrady said...

Hi Helen
Yes it's true, it's tricky to know which tool to choose. I always thinkg about a blog as a reflective journal type of tool, a place to talk about what's going. I like that people can comment as well - it takes away that sense of isolation.
Ann

About this blog

My E-learning Journey documents my developing knowledge of e-learning applications and Web 2.0 technology and how I use them in my teaching and learning.